Oooh, She's a Little Runaway...





I personally consider running and some basic parkour to be legitimate self-defense skills. I never know what the enemy has, and I never know if I'll have to run either away from danger, or toward it to save someone else. The goal of the enemy is to harm me. If I have kept them from harming me, then I "won", period. They can be frustrated at their lack of endurance and speed to be able to catch me all they want, and mask their own frustration by calling me a coward all they want, but I still "won".


The only time I wouldn't run when I otherwise could have, is if I am with another person who can't outrun the danger. In that case, it is my duty to stay and protect them.


Also, running is a tactical strategy. If I am faced with multiple assailants, or if I think I might be, then running will get me away from a possibly superior force, and if they chase me, then they are highly unlikely to all be in the same shape.  One will get to me before the others, giving me better odds if I can't outrun them. 


I run 3-4 times a week to make sure I'm not the one who gases out if I have to run. They will likely gas out before me, in which case their heavy limbs won't help them so much against whatever I have to do at that point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be the Hammer, Not the Anvil

Kata-Based Ranking

The Three Quarter Twist Centerline Punch